Walking the correct way helps avoid fall-related injuries and improve one's health and fitness levels. Walking is a great stress-buster and can be very therapeutic. Here are some tips to walk the right way and to avoid injuries:-
- When walking, keep your posture straight so that your weight is equally distributed between your feet. Your arms should be bent at 90 degrees and must swing back and forth naturally. Always land your heel first and push off with your toes.
- Ill-fitting footwear is the main cause of walk-related injuries. Avoid high heels, shoes that do not support your feet or are uncomfortable, as well as shoes with uneven soles.
- Badly-fitting or loose / long clothes can also make you stumble when you walk. So wear well-fit clothes that do not hinder your walking pattern.
- Use your own natural pattern and walk slowly, steadily, smoothly and with full awareness of your surroundings. Do not copy someone's walking style. Keep your eyes ahead as well as on the path. Do not use your phone or other distractions while walking.
- Excess weight can impede your walking and make it tiring or uncomfortable. Losing weight can make a difference and will help you walk more easily.
- We tend to over-stride to reach our destination quicker and ignore the ground conditions. Over-striding leads to an artificial walking, which can hurt your shins. To walk faster, choose a path which is clear and smooth. Before you start walking quickly, warm up or increase your speed slowly.
- For 350 more highly useful TIPS / TOPICS for all age groups, please visit here.